ROR welcomes donations to purchase new, developmentally-appropriate books for children served in Los Angeles County.
A $50.00 donation to ROR of Los Angles makes it possible for you to provide a child with 10 books so that he or she can grow up with books and a love of reading.
If you'd like to donate using our secured PayPal service, click the red donate button to your left.
Donate by MailIf you prefer to mail in a donation, we accept checks. Please fill out our donation form that you can print and mail with your check. Make check payable to ROR, Inc. and mail to:
Debbie Navarro, Regional Coordinator
Reach Out and Read
10 Carolyn Way
Mission Hills, CA 91345
Reach Out and Read's impact is magnified and enhanced by the work and the dedication of thousands of volunteers nationwide. ROR volunteers read to children in waiting rooms, they organize community book drives, they build bookcases and paint murals on walls, they help organize fundraising events, and they provide critical administrative support at the National Center and our Coalitions.
Will you consider joining them? Volunteers sign up here!
Plan a Book Drive
Reach Out and Read (ROR) clinics are happy to accept new and used children’s books. As many clinics have limited storage space, it is helpful to check with the clinic before you start your book drive. To find a ROR location near you, please use the Participating Clinic Search below or click here.
Once you've selected your participating ROR clinic to donate to, here are some easy steps to help you plan your book drive:
Step 1: Select your location of your drive and target group (e.g. a school and the students and staff or a church and its members)
Step 2: Determine the date(s) for the event and a visible spot at the location for the collection boxes.
Step 3: Publicize the event with emails, flyers, posters and any other forms of announcements available to you.
We're Looking for New BooksDonations of new books are welcome and should be:
- For children 6 months to 5 years of age
- For younger children, books about numbers, the ABCs, colors, shapes, etc.; nursery rhymes are always excellent choices
- For 3-5 year olds, books with simple words and sentences
- Books that you would enjoy reading aloud to a child
They should NOT be:
- Books about death, religion, holidays, divorce, medical issues or abuse
Used Books Will Also Find a HomeGently used books are given to siblings or put in the waiting area for families to enjoy. Used books are welcome if they meet the following criteria:
- Books are clean and unmarked with covers and pages intact
- Books for infants up to and including teenagers
- Not textbooks (your local library might accept textbooks)
- Not used coloring or activity books
- Not books with themes such as death, religion, holidays, divorce, medical issues or abuse
How to Help Us Deliver
After you have collected the books, search for a Participating Clinic. Click on the book icon next to the clinic name and fill out the form. This will send an email to the ROR Coordinator that corresponds with the clinic you'd like to donate to. Also keep in mind the following:
- In your message suggest a time that you can deliver the books.
- If you will need help unloading the books, make arrangements for assistance in advance.
- Mark the boxes or bags of books "For the ROR Program."
- Please note that ROR coordinators are often unable to pick up books.
To find clinics that will accept your donated book collection, please search our Participating Clinics List on the ROR National Center website.